Friday, June 13, 2008

Gardeners: Beware decaying organic waste

I'm sure most people know that breathing in mould spores is bad for your health but I wonder how many gardeners know about the potential health hazard from inhaling poisonous fungal spores, commonly found in decaying vegetation? I certainly never gave it a thought until I read the sad story that a man dies after inhaling fungal spores from garden compost. The risk is low but still, it's something to be aware of. (link via guardian.co.uk)

2 comments:

  1. I read this and was surprised. However as you say it's good to be aware of a possible risk.
    Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a very surprising (and sad) story. I'm sure the risk is very low but it's worth knowing about.

    I hope you have a good weekend too.

    ReplyDelete